There are so many friggin supplements out on the market these days. I should know because I've taken most of them. I promise to be an ongoing experiment for your benefit - let's call me a cute lab rat in a great outfit!
One of the most essential supplements to take daily is trace minerals, but let's be honest, they aren't sexy or exciting. They are the meditation of the supplement world.
The cold, hard fact is that you need to meditate, and you also need to take trace minerals.
So let's break it down.
I'll give you all the deets and then in true Carly fashion, I'll tell you exactly what to do at the end of this!
What's the difference between minerals and trace minerals?
- Minerals are those elements in the soil and in foods that our bodies need to develop and function normally. Your body, however, cannot make minerals, so it must obtain them from food or water.
- Minerals fall into two categories: macrominerals and trace (micro) minerals. Macrominerals are much easier to acquire from food, while trace minerals are less available.
- Macrominerals essential for health include calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, chloride, magnesium, iron, zinc, iodine, chromium, copper, fluoride, molybdenum, manganese, and selenium.
- Modern-day farming practices deplete our soil of vitamins and minerals, making it challenging to meet your body's mineral requirements through food alone, both macrominerals (magnesium especially) and trace minerals. Read this study on declining minerals and vitamins in produce.
The following foods are examples of where you can find macrominerals:
- Nuts and seeds
- Coconut water
- Cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, etc.)
- Organ meats
- Tropical fruits
- Ancient grains
- Leafy greens
What's the deal with trace minerals, and why are we not getting enough?
I hate to sound like a Debbie Downer (better than a Karen), but our soil is so deficient in trace minerals that your organic produce is nowhere near as nutritious as it used to be.
Soil Health = Your Health
I've had many clients ask me why they can't get the nutrition they need from food. They're right to question a billion-dollar supplement industry pushing tons of pills on us. I don't think you need to drown in pill bottles, but you need to know that what the soil is no longer providing us we need to supplement to overcome this real and current obstacle.
Ok, back to trace minerals.
Trace minerals help your body do things such as produce hormones, regulate metabolism, and deliver oxygen through the blood to the various tissues in your body. You can see why they're so essential to good health! My mentor used to call them the "spark plug" of the body.
If you don't get enough trace minerals in your diet, then your body will not be able to work as it should.
Signs of a mineral deficiency can show up in many different ways:
- GI issues (constipation, bloating, diarrhea)
- Lower immunity
- Poor energy
- Problems with memory, learning, brain fog
- Muscle pain, spasms, cramps
- Hormonal imbalances
- Heart issues
- Generalized weakness or fatigue
I could go on, but I think you get it. You need trace minerals. You're not getting them, and it's time you and your family started to supplement.
My absolute favorite trace mineral product is Quinton Seawater Trace Minerals.
Why Quinton Trace Minerals?
Quinton (Hypertonic and Isotonic) seawater minerals are derived from marine plasma harvested from pure protected plankton blooms off the coast of France.
- The ocean water is cold and micro-filtered to the highest purity and quality to maintain healing properties innate to seawater. Seawater is a gentle daily detoxifier that supports cellular and electrolyte balance, sleep and relaxation, alertness, and the immune system.
- This, to me, is more like medicine. Listen to this podcast with Robert Slovak on the details of Quinton. Then I'll send you a box of glass ampules to try!
- Isotonic is for when you aren’t feeling well (diarrhea, active virus, etc…) and Hypertonic is the nutrient remineralizer. I use Hypertonic only but I keep Isotonic in my pantry for when I’m under the weather.
Health Benefits of Seawater:
- Seawater promotes cellular nutrition—aids in hygiene, improvement of scarring, and skin regeneration.
- It helps maintain fluid and electrolyte balance and normal energy metabolism and reduces tiredness and fatigue thanks to its high magnesium content. It also aids in optimal nervous system performance and psychological function.
- It promotes regular muscle performance and helps to maintain healthy bones and teeth. Combined with physical exercise, seawater helps stop bone problems, such as bone and muscle pain, arthritis, and circulatory and post-operative issues.
- It restores homeostasis by improving the self-regulatory system, thus helping keep different body elements in balance. It improves respiration, especially in people with asthma, severe cough, phlegm, and other problems.
- It regulates the physiological pH by maintaining optimal levels of acids and hydration.
- I wake up and pour a Quinton Hypertonic glass ampule into 8-12 ounces of water.
- I put a dropperful of CT-Minerals in each water bottle throughout the day.
- I put a half dropperful of CT-Minerals into Tillie's water bottle (she’s 4 years old) and a few drops into Sunny's water/milk bottle (she’s 10 months old).
I'm so used to this routine that I don't even think about it anymore! Since you read this far (I love this commitment to your health!) I will offer you 20% off your first order Quinton Hypertonic minerals!
Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reach out to get your information.
Questions about minerals or any other old thang? Again, email email@example.com and you might see your questions answered on the blog. :)